SLA Unit Plans
Here is a partial collection of units and recurring assignments I use at school.
- Book Club Toolkit // Student Instructions / Folder of Job Sheets / Meeting Protocol
- Author Emulation Handbook // Blog Write-Up / UbD Unit Plan / Partial Teacher Project / Sample Student Projects
- Writing Analytically: 2Fer Essays
- Independent Reading Unit: Reading History // Blog Write-Up / UbD Unit Plan / Sample Student Projects
- Truth and Storytelling: The Things They Carried // Blog Write-up / UbD Unit Plan
- Changing Minds: Public Information Campaign // UbD Unit Plan
- Science Fiction Short Stories // Blog Write-Up / UbD Unit Plan / Book Club Job Sheets
- One Book One Philadelphia Teacher Resource Guides
The goal of One Book, One Philadelphia is to promote reading, literacy, and libraries, and to encourage the entire greater Philadelphia area to come together through reading and discussing a single book.
Follow the links to all materials, hosted on the Free Library website.
- What Is The What by Dave Eggers (2008)
- The Soloist by Steve Lopez (2009)
- Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (2010)
- War Dances and The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (2011)
- Create Dangerously by Edwige Danticat (2012)
- Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka (2013)
- The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers (2014)
- Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline (2015)
- Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier (2016)
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (2017)
National Writing Project Resources
NWP was kind enough to invite me to be a contributor to their Digital:Is website. So far I have written up a few assignments and units from SLA.
- “Bringing ‘Traditional’ Essay Writing into the Real World” – Designing a year-long writing assignment in Google Docs
- “Romantic Love is a Myth; or, How to Unpack a Genre” – Using literary and media theory to take a critical look at the romantic comedy